Does your heart ache for peace, mutual understanding, respect and trust? Do you want to be part of a conscious majority working to reduce the polarization, tension, violence and fear in our society? If your answer is yes, then join our Unity community as we explore current issues with open minds and open hearts. All events are open to the public.
Be part of the conversation. Be part of the healing.
Healing the Heart of America Book Club: Conversations on Race
Do you wonder why this society is so polarized about racial issues and racial justice? Would you welcome the opportunity to participate in a safe, open exploration of this sensitive topic? If so, join us in taking a reading journey to learn about racism: its history in this country, what perpetuates it and how we might overcome the forces that divide us. Bring a curious mind and a willingness to hear different points of view.
On September 26, we’ll be discussing Part I of our next selection, The Conversation; How Seeking and Speaking the Truth about Racism Can Radically Transform Individuals and Organizations by Dr. Robert W. Livingston, which was published in February 2021. Dr. Livingston, a social psychologist and one of the nation’s leading experts on the science underlying bias and racism, provides a road map for uprooting entrenched biases and shares candid, fact-based perspectives on race that can lead to increased awareness, empathy, and hopefully, action.
Facilitator: Linda Patterson
RSVP to Linda Patterson at email@example.com for more information and the current Zoom link.
Upcoming Meeting Dates:
- September 26 | 1:00 pm – 2:30 Central
- October 24 | 1:00 pm – 2:30 Central
- November 21 | 1:00 pm – 2:30 Central
- December 19 | 1:00 pm – 2:30 Central
On October 24, we plan to cover Parts II and III of our next selection, The Conversation; How Seeking and Speaking the Truth about Racism Can Radically Transform Individuals and Organizations by Dr. Robert W. Livingston.
So far, we have read: So You Want to Talk About Race; Between the World and Me; Stamped from the Beginning; How to Be an Antiracist; Just Mercy; Rising Out of Hatred; Brown White Black; White Fragility; The Great Escape: Health, Wealth, and the Origins of Inequality; This Is An Uprising, Caste: The Origins of our Discontents, The Vanishing Half, The New Jim Crow, The Sum of Us: What Racism Costs Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together, and Saving Capitalism: For the Many, Not the Few.
- The Living History and Bright Future of Freedmen’s Town, March 21, 2021 (Watch the Video)
- A Unity Conversation on Racism and the Global Pandemic with Kym King, September 26, 2020 (Watch the video)
- The Voting Secrets No One Tells You: The Hidden and Down Ballots, September 12, 2020
(Watch the video)
Handout – Dates to Remember
Handout – Helpful Links
- What is Racism? A Deeper Dive, July 11, 2020 (Watch the Video)
- “After George Floyd: Learning from Our Pain”, June 14, 2020 (Watch the video)
- “A Conversation On Race with Dr. Jill Carroll,” September 14, 2019
- Safe and Meaningful Conversations, June 20 & 27, 2019
- Introduction to Compassionate Integrity Training (CIT), April 27, 2019
- Race and Ethnicity: From Pain to Possibilities, March 30, 2019
- Unity Peacemakers’ “Living Room Conversations”, July-August, 2018
- Conversation Café, June, 2018
- Theo E.J. Wilson: Racial Healing through Unity Consciousness, April 12, 2018
- Wisdom of Gandhi classes, February 4 & 11, 2018
- An Evening with Marianne Williamson: Love America Tour, January 2018
- Dialogue on Race (4 sessions), October 2017 – February 2018
- Political Polarization and The Righteous Mind, April, 2017
- Spiritual Evolution: Gaining Insights for Action, March 2017
- Justice: What Kind of America Do We Want? January-February, 2017
- Healing the Heart of America , October 17, 2016
- Rev. Karen Tudor, 713-782-4050, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cindy Wigglesworth, email@example.com
- Dr. Jean Latting